tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 09 17:50:21 2004

RE: jIH/SoH in comparatives

Heather Myers ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

jatlh lay'tel SIvten:

> I have found two canon comparatives in which {jIH} or {SoH} fills the
'A'
> or 'B' position of the formula "A Q law' B Q puS".  And I realized
that A > and B are not subjects of Q at all, even though Q is a verb.
Just one    > more odd thing about law'/puS comparatives.
> Having said that, has anyone ever used something like {bItIn law'
jItIn
> puS} instead of {SoH tIn law' jIH tIn puS}?
>
> Vixis:    qIbDaq SuvwI''e' SoH Dun law' Hoch Dun puS.
>              You would be the greatest warrior in the galaxy.  [ST5,
HQ
> v8n4p12]
>
> Maltz:  jIH Doy' law' SoH Doy' puS
>         I am more tired than you are.  [HQ v13n1p10]

The description of the law'/puS construction (TKD p.70) says that "A and
B are the two things being compared and Q is the quality which is being
measured."  For that reason, I believe that <SoH tIn law' jIH tIn puS>
is a legal sentence, while ?<bItIn law' jItIn puS> is not.  In the first
example, A and B exist (<SoH> and <jIH>).  In the second, there is no
thing being compared.  This construction is utilized by following the
formula.

jI'qel ghojwI'
<batlh wo' yejHaD je vItoy'mo' jIHem>

---