tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 30 09:17:01 2004

Re: qa'vam

ghel bIjaj:

>Is there any canon usage or accepted interpretation of {qa'vam} to indicate
>whether or not it refers to the English meaning of "genesis" and not just
>the Genesis planet from ST3?

There's nothing outside of this line from ST3:

   qa'vam De' vIje' rIntaH.
   I have purchased the Genesis data. ST3

We don't know why the Klingons call the place {qa'vam}, but since it's not
a Klingon planet but one in Federation space it's just possible that they
translated Genesis as {qa'vam} because it refers somehow to a Klingon
origin myth.  Or maybe not.  At this point we have no way of knowing.

Note that we also have the proper noun {QI'tu'} "Paradise", the verbs
{tagh} "begin a process, initiate" and {lIH} "begin a song", and the nouns
{mung} "origin" and {bI'reS} "beginning (of an opera, play, story, speech,
etc.)".  (This last, of course, is a pun on *Be-reshit* ["in the
beginning"], the first word and Hebrew name of the Book of Genesis!)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level