tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 22 22:18:33 2004

Re: Tao Te Ching Chp. 1

ja' 'ISqu':
>rap cha'vam Hal 'ach jaS luponglu'.
>luDellu'meH jatlhlu': [F]
>The source of these two is the same yet they are differently named.
>They are called the mystery,
>
>[F] {luDellu'meH jatlhlu'}. I could have used {bIHvaD pegh ponglu'} here
>but:
>(a) the verb {pong} was used in the previous line
>    and to repeat it would be clumsy.

Klingon {per} could work if you want an alternative to {pong}.

>(b) two different words are used in the Chinese text:
>    "ming" in the previous line and "wei" in this line
>(c) The phrase " ... is called" ("... wei") appears
>    quite a few times in the book and I have always
>    rendered it as {... Dellu'meH jatlhlu'}:

What does "wei" mean, and how does it differ from "ming"?  Would {per}
"label" fit?  In case it does...

>Chp 27:
>    mIwvamvaD ponglu': peghbogh mIw bochqu'.
>    This is called the covert practice that shines.

...mIwvamvaD <peghbogh mIw bochqu'> perlu'

[but I'd put it the other way around: <bochqu'bogh mIw pegh>]

>Chp 36:
>    peghvam DelmeH jatlhlu': <Hurghbogh peghHom bochqu'>.
>    This is called the little dark secret that shines.

...mIwvamvaD <Hurghbogh peghHom bochqu'> perlu'

[and again: <bochqu'bogh peghHom Hurgh>]

>Chp 69:
>    to'vam DelmeH jatlhlu':/
>           tlhetlhbe'lu'taHvIS tlhetlhlu'.
>   This is called:/
>         Moving forward without moving forward.

...but I think this one works better with {jatlh} because you translated
the phrase as a complete sentence.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level