tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 20 18:46:08 2004

Re: DCKL translation problems: {tlhogh}

From: "Steven Boozer" <[email protected]>

> Voragh:
> > >To divorce Quark in DS9 "House of Quark", Grilka shouted *N'Gos tlhogh
> > >cha!* ("This marriage is dissolved!") at him.  So, *IF* we accept this
> > >Paramount source (since we have nothing else), we ignore the
all-purpose
> > >particle *cha* - which the Paramount writers add to just about every
> > >Klingon sentence they write - leaving us with the phrase *{tlhogh ngoS}
> > >"dissolve the marriage" which is not a bad way of saying "divorce".
>
> ghunchu'wI':
> >Why did you (1) change the word order from "N'Gos tlhogh" to {tlhogh
ngoS},
> >and (2) change the phrasing from "it is dissolved" to "dissolve it"?
>
> Except that {ngoS} is glossed only as "dissolve", not "be dissolved".  So
> rather than re-write the definition, I simply flipped the words.  If you
> figure that the writer simply looked up the words for "dissolve marriage",
> in that order, then you get {tlhogh ngoS} in proper {ta' Hol}.
>
> >It seems to me that the DS9 usage would suggest {ngoS tlhogh} as the
proper
> >formula.
>
> The English subtitle "This marriage is dissolved" would have to be
{ngoSlu'
> tlhoghvam}.

*shrug*  /ngoS tlhogh/ "The marriage dissolves."  Not a lot of difference
there.  Works perfectly, colloquially translated.  Do we have any indication
of what the correct subject of /ngoS/ is, outside of this line?  In those
rare instances where TV Klingon appears to be correct, I hate to complain
about it.

SuStel
Stardate 4054.8

Back to archive top level