tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 18 13:00:13 2004

DCKL translation problems: exiling exhaust

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Hi!
 A question to {ghIm} "exile".

The most commun definition for this verb is "to banish or expel from one's own country or home :
drive away", send into exile, Deutsch: "verbannen, exilieren, ins Exil schicken".

BUT... the translation for
   {peng baHjan tuj ghImwI'}
is "heat exhaust for torpedo launcher"

Seems like {ghIm} means something else than exiling people from their country

An exhaust, on the other hand, is {taQbang}
[that part of your car that makes that noise?]

while the verb for that is {tlhuch} - no, it's a noun [baQa'! - a mistake in my notes!]
Is this s noun or a verb?

Anyway, summary of the problem:

   {ghIm} v. exile
   {ghImwI'} n. exhaust
      versus
   {tlhuch} v. exhaust
   {taQbang} n. exhaust

I guess there is one noun that desribes the "exit" of the smoke/gas, the other the "exhausted stuff" itself,
i.e. smoke/gas, and maybe a verb that "makes smoke exit".

Quvar.

Back to archive top level