tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jan 17 19:07:07 2004

RE: DCKL translation problems: knives

Eric Andeen ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

Note the placement of <-Ha'> in the sentence <not Hub'eghrupHa' lo'wI'>.
It should probably be <HubHa''eghrup> - the <-Ha'> suffix, though
technically a rover, is always supposed to go right after the verb stem,
before any other suffixes.

I've seen several other canon examples with <-Ha'> misplaced (can't
bring any to mind now, though). Interestingly, mistakes Okrand himself
(and presumably Maltz) makes repeatedly (like dropping the <lu-> prefix)
are often later discovered to be common among Klingons in general.
Perhaps we'll see something about flexibility of <-Ha'> placement in
informal Klingon in the future.

pagh

NOTE: This is just speculation, and should *NOT* be interpreted as an
endorsement putting <-Ha'> anywhere other than right after the verb
stem.