tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 09 05:52:37 2004

Re: vum

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Johnson" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2004 8:33 PM
Subject: vum

> yInqa'bogh baHwI':
> jInmol chu' vIvumchoH

Were you going for "I began working on a new project"?
This is a toughy.
AFAIK, {vum} "to work, toil" does not take an object, so we've got to work
around this.
You could try a total recast, and say "I have received a new project".
{jInmol chu' vIHevta'}

> yInqa'bogh baHwI':
> vI'HeQchogh 'e' mutlhob la'wIj

I don't know what you were going for here, but I'll correct what I can.
{vI-}, at the beginning of the first word, doesn't need {'}.
The use of the prefix trick in the second verb seems redundant. You could
probably drop the {mu-}.
{la'} is "commander", a rank. Also, a {la'} is capable of using language, so
it would take {-wI'}.
And we do have one bit of vocabulary that you might not be aware of: {pIn}
"boss (n)".
If you wanted to say "My boss asked me to comply.", you would say:
{jIHeQ 'e' tlhob pInwI'}

> yInqa'bogh baHwI':
> HIja', Qu'vam vI'rIn

{rIn} is a verb of quality meaning "to be finished". If you wanted to say "I
will finish this task", it must be recast as "I will cause the task to be
finished." which, in Klingon, is
{Qu'vam vIrInmoH}

Please post an English translation, and we can work on this together. Put
"KLBC" in the subject line, so I'll look at it first. }}: )

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/