tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 07 10:53:33 2004

Re: KLBC your choice of a name

Lieven L. Litaer (Quvar) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

Am 07.01.2004 04:11:25, schrieb "Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]>:

>If you're a native English speaker, you probably automatically start
>words with a glottal stop when they are supposed to start with a vowel,
>at least at the beginning of a sentence/breath group.

Same thing for our German lurkers:
    "ich esse ein Ei" (QIm vISop)
starts every word with a glottal stop.
And perhaps you've listened to the radio-charts lately, there is this "Ohrwurm" whose refrain - using
Klingon spelling - is {'o' o 'o' o 'o' o 'o''o'} "Oh ooo, oh ooh..."
If you sing it along, you practice Klingon! ;-)

Spanish lurkers can think of the way to pronounce "hablas español?". They usually say a glottal stop
instead of the 'h'.
Similar in french, where "Hello." (on the phone) is spelled "âllo", prounounced *{'alo}*
Burada türkiyedeki ögrenci var sanmiyorum ama sadece beni hitap etin. ;-)

>For English speakers the final glottal stop is the most problematic;

Most Germans I know pronounce "Pizza" like *pI'tsa'*, at least when they say it slowly, not *pIytsa*.
Theres the final glottal stop to practice. By the way, {pI'} is Klingon for "be fat".   ....

DaH jIghungchoHpu'. *pI'tlha' vISop vIneH!

Quvar.

Back to archive top level