tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 06 20:35:47 2004

Re: Some Sentences

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Johnson" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 5:10 PM
Subject: KLBC: Some Sentences

> yInqa'bogh baHwI':
> I was at work today trying to come up with some sentences and phrases. How
> are these?
>
> What is this thing?
> {nuq 'oH Dochvam}

Close. When you use one of the pronouns in the sense of "to be", as you did
here, you must add {'e'} to the subject:
{nuq 'oH Dochvam'e'?}
Another option: in Conversational Klingon, MO gives us {Dochvam nuq?} "What
is it?"

> yInqa'bogh baHwI':
> What is that thing?
> {nuq 'oH Dochvetlh}

See above, but otherwise good. }}: )

> yInqa'bogh baHwI':
> Watch this monitor.
> {HaStavam yIbej}

*cringes at the can of worms* Close. {HaSta} means "visual display", and
I'll take the safe route and say that we don't have a lot of information on
how this is used.
We do have a word for "monitor" , however: {jIH}. AFAIK, this noun isn't as
controversial.
Otherwise good.

> yInqa'bogh baHwI':
> Don't be silly!
> {SuDoghbe'}

"don't be silly" is an imperative, and and {SuDoghbe'} is a statement: "You
all are not silly."
{Qo'} is used in imperatives, and imperatives take special prefixes.
{yIDoghQo'!} "Don't be silly!" (to one person)
{peDoghQo'!} "Don't be silly!" (to more than one)

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute
http://kli.org/