tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 06 10:16:02 2004

Re: KLBC pawpu' DIS chu'

>Philip:
>>ben law', qa'mey mIgh ghIj neH Germany Dabbogh nuvpu''e'.
>>Many years ago, Germans wanted to scare away evil spirits.

'ISqu':
>*qa'pu'* mIgh ghIj *luneH* Germany *luDabbogh* nuvpu''e'.
>
>I believe MO once explained (in TKW?) that spirits are treated as sentient
>beings, which means that the noun {qa'} takes the {-pu'} plural suffix.

lughqu' 'ISqu':

   ghe'torvo' narghDI' qa'pu'
   when spirits escape from Gre'thor  KGT

"Note that the word for 'spirit', {qa'}, takes the plural suffix {-pu'},
which is used for beings capable of using language. Spirits do
speak."  [KGT 117]

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons