tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 17 18:23:24 2004

Re: use of DoH

De'vID:
> >>There's also a word <DoHmoH> that means "drive back" (from KGT).

Voragh:
> >Never used in canon, although KGT comments that it's a "common militaristic
> >act" (p.48), implying that it may only be used in military contexts.

SuStel:
>I don't think the implication you mention is there.  It gives a context in
>which the word is used.

<sigh> I knew someone was going to whine about this...

Here's the relevant quote in full:

      Common militaristic acts also have associated terminology, both
   verbs ({DoHmoH}, "drive back"; {Hub}, "defend"; {yot}, invade"; {weH},
   "raid" [same as {yot}, really, but with the added connotation of
   surprise or speed]; {HIv}, "attack, assault"; {Sev}, "contain"; {HeD},
   "retreat, withdraw") and nouns ({yot}, "invasion, raid, incursion";
   {Hub}, "defense"). The noun {tuH} refers to a military maneuver of any
   kind.  [KGT p.48]

I imagine the non-military words he wants to keep these distinct from are
{ngaS} "contain", {lolmoH} "maneuver (an aircraft), etc.

We know that there are military words; those are the ones tagged
"(military)" in TKD to distinguish them from their non-military homonyms in
English.  E.g.:

   {ngaq}  "support"
   {qeq}   "drill"
   {raQ}   "camp"
   {waw'}  "base"
   {yov}   "charge"
   {wey}   "company"

Note that some of these English homonyms have unrelated Klingon
translations:  e.g. {Qutlh}  "support" (physically; e.g. the ceiling) and
{Huj} "charge {up)".  And then there's our discussion about (business)
companies in another thread.

>This doesn't deny the use of the word in other contexts.

Nor does it permit it.  (I suppose the non-military sense of "drive back"
has to do with, say, automobiles?)  I meant to say "MIGHT only be used",
implying some doubt.

Of course, considering how militarized Klingon society and language are,
"military contexts" covers a pretty large ground!

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level