tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Feb 17 13:20:44 2004

Re: RE: Help with translation

quljIb wrote:
> >>I'm trying to come up with a word for "company", as in: "I work for a
> >>company that makes X."
>
>Voragh:
> >As has been mentioned, {malja'} "business" is the closest we have but our
> >sole example refers to the activity, not a place:

Quvar:
>>Doesn't he want to describe an activity?
>>   {X malja' vIHuq}
>>   "I transact X-business"

That's an activity, yes, but quljIb wanted a word for a "company" - a type
of organization.

quljIb:
> >>That sorta works.  I suppose it is more accurate to say that I work in a
> >>laboratory, since I'm testing the paper, but {laSvargh} works for my
> purposes.

{waH}   "try out, use experimentally"
{tob}   "test conclusively"
{chov}  "assess, evaluate, test"

SuStel:
>Qulpa'
>http://kli.org/tlh/newwords.html

I.e. {Qulpa'} is the word for "research laboratory":

   De'wI' Qulpa'
   computer research lab (KBoP)

Quvar:
>>"I work for" sounds like "I serve someone"
>>    {X chenmoHwI' vItoy'}
>>    "I serve an X-maker"

Very Klingon.  I like it:

   nav chovbogh Qulpa''e' vItoy'.
   I work for ("serve") a lab that's testing the paper.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level