tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Feb 16 03:54:45 2004

Using the word "not"

david fourman ([email protected])

Hello!  I'm new to the thread but I'd like to ask a question about a klingon
expression in TKW.  The phrase is "not qoHpu''e' neH ghijlu'"  Only a fool
is never afraid.  When I read this and try to "think" the sentence in
klingon, the meaning that comes to my mind is "Never are only fools afraid."
  This of course has a completely different meaning.
   I've given it a great deal of thought since I love languages and
cognitive psychology.  In english the trick works well. Compare: Never only
fools are afraid. and Only fools are afraid never.  By changing where you
put never you change the meaning entirely.
    If in klingon the word "not" always comes at the beginning of the
sentence, how does one differentiate one meaning from the other? The
ordering "qoHpu'e' neH not ghijlu'" seems to sound better-it feels right in
my head.  This might just be a result of my english speaking thought process
but in either case, how does one make the difference in klingon between the
two meanings if you can't move the word "not"?

  I would greatly appreciate any input that anyone would have on this.

Check out the great features of the new MSN 9 Dial-up, with the MSN Dial-up
Accelerator. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/

Back to archive top level