tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 27 20:25:29 2004

Re: calling animals

QeS lagh ([email protected])

ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:

>i don't know how widespread the term is, but it's from the latin word for
>"pig", just as the term "bossy" is from latin for "cow".

HISlaH, pong <Sus scrofa> nunob <Latin> Hol. QeD pong 'oH. <Bos domesticus>
'oH "cow" QeD pong'e'.

Perhaps you should have given a meaning for "bossy" the way you intended it.
I had never heard it in that sense before. Here's the meaning and etymology
for those of us unfamiliar:

[Dim. fr. Prov. E. boss in boss-calf, buss-calf, for boose-calf, prop., a
calf kept in the stall. See 1st Boose.] A cow or calf; -- familiarly so
called. [U. S.]

(http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bossy)

qurgh, I think "suey" might be an Americanism too. I am familiar with it,
but haven't ever heard it used here in Australia.

QeS lagh

What's your house worth? Click here to find out:
http://www.ninemsn.realestate.com.au

Back to archive top level