tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 27 09:58:48 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: Suy' (n)

QuljIb ([email protected])

ghItlh voragh:
>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Tuesday, April 27, 2004.
>
>>Klingon word:   Suy'
>>Part of Speech: noun
>>Definition:     [shooy]
>>
>>Additional Notes: KGT.  A type of animal.
>
>As used in canon:
>
>   Suy' SoH
>   You are a shooy. KGT
>
>   Calling someone a {Suy'} is quite derogatory, comparable to using
>   the word "pig" in Federation Standard. Mistakenly calling someone
>   a {Suy} ("merchant") when the intent is to be insulting and call
>   him or her a {Suy'} will have the effect of making the speaker
>   appear to be foolish and, therefore, weak and hardly in a position
>   to be ridiculing someone else.  (KGT 196)

I'm not sure I understand the phonetic difference between {Suy} and {Suy'}.  My understanding has been that {Suy'} is said with a curt cut-off at syllable's end, whilst {Suy} is more drawn out, qar'a'?  [In which case, remembering that a merchant is a {Suy} and not a {Suy'} becomes really difficult at times.. }}: ) ]

-quljIb

Back to archive top level