tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 24 06:35:29 2004

Re: a little bit pregnant?

In a message dated 2004-04-24 4:04:02 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

> ghItlhpu' lay'tel SIvten:
>
> >this is a bad example, i think.  of course, a woman is either pregnant or
> >not, so there is no middle ground, no "little bit".  or is there?  the way
> >it is used is that she has been pregnant for only a short time, or that her
> >pregnancy isn't very obvious, in which case it makes perfect sense.
>
> It does make sense, but only because the semantics of "pregnant" have
> shifted slightly. The word "pregnant" carries visual or temporal
> connotations: a woman can *look* pregnant without actually *being* pregnant,
> a staple of countless comedy skits.

perhaps, but not what i had in mind.  i was talking about literally being
pregnant.

> For me, either the foetus is implanted and growing (in which case she is
> pregnant) or it is not (in which case she is not pregnant). To use my other

no, but is a hole a state or quality?  i don't think so.

> Both of these might be understandable in some instances, but add other
> qualifiers to them and we get things that are either unusual or outright

neither of these two examples sounds odd to me.

I don't
> think I know what I'd do if my future wife were to come up to me and say
> "Honey, I'm a little bit pregnant." Did the test come back as only a little
> bit positive? :)
>
> Perhaps it would have been better if I'd given some context or the Klingon
> term:
>
> puqbe': vavoy, SoSoy, jIyatlh... (Dad, Mum, I'm pregnant...)
> nItebHa' vav SoS je: bIyatlh'a' SoH??? (You're PREGNANT???)
> puqbe': qay'be', jIyatlhqu'be'! (It's OK, I'm not very pregnant!)
>
> Another example is "a little bit dead". There's no middle ground (although
> some would disagree).

to quote from star trek 4:  "Gracie is not only pregnant, she is VERY
pregnant!" (iirc)

i wasn't using pregnant in any figurative sense.  i meant it quite literally.
a woman is either pregnant or not.  if she is not pregnant, then she is 0%
pregnant.  if she is pregnant, the amount of her pregnancy is positive and
greater than zero.

i agree that it would be a little bit weird for a woman to announce her
pregnancy by saying "Honey, I'm a little bit pregnant".  it would be a lot more
normal to announce "Honey, I'm pregnant" to establish that her amount of
pregnancy is non-zero, to which her mate might reply "Pregnant?  How pregnant are
you?", and she then answer "Only a little bit.", meaning (probably) that she is in
the initial stage of pregnancy. (similar to your klingon example above).

another example of this kind of thing is whether a door is open or shut.  if
it's shut, it's 0% open, but if it's open, it might be open only a crack, or
it might be wide open, i.e., any positive number up to and including 100%.

your example of "a little bit dead" is a good one.  a person can't be a
little bit dead, because being dead means 0% alive.  but a person can be anywhere
in the range of barely alive to totally alive, i.e. any positive number up to
and including 100%.

many states of being have one term which can only be the 0% of the range,
while the other, opposite, term includes any percentage except 0.
and being "a little bit pregnant" does NOT also mean "a lot non-pregnant".
even if someone is a little bit pregnant, she is still definitely pregnant.
only if she is 0% pregnant can she be non-pregnant.

"For a binary state, the positive pole is often scalable, even though the
negative pole is not. For example, there are several degrees of
'pregnancy','openness', 'fullness', and 'inebriation', but the same does not apply to their
opposites 'non-pregnant', 'closed', 'empty', and 'sober'."

lay'tel SIvten

Back to archive top level