tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 12 12:19:59 2004

Re: Klingon WOTD: woD (v)

> >> Klingon word:   woD
> >> Part of Speech: verb
> >> Definition:     throw away

Marc Okrand:

> >  animals. (Note that {Soj woD} ["He/she throws the food away"],
> >  which refers to a regrettable activity, is very different
> >  from {Soj jaD} ["He/she throws or hurls the food in the manner
> >  of a projectile"], which, under certain circumstances, is
> >  considered a reasonable pastime.)  [KGT p.91]

...Paul:
>Is /woD/ usable in non-food scenarios?  Is it synonymous to "discard"
>or is it only useable when talking about food?

No idea.  The KGT quote is its only use in canon AFAIK.

>For example, could I /woD/ old newspapers?

I would think so.  {polHa'} "discard" has so far only appeared in the idiom:

     pollaH pagh polHa'laH
     can either keep it or discard it

   This is a way to say "The matter is unimportant" or "It does not
   make any difference. The phrase is usually used in response to
   someone who expresses a concern about something, and the it in
   the translation refers to the matter under discussion. It is
   sometimes phrased in terms of the speaker, as in {vIpollaH pagh
   vIpolHa'laH} ("I can either keep it or I can discard it"), or the
   listener, as in {DapollaH pagh DapolHa'laH} ("You can either keep
   it or you can discard it").  [KGT 116f]

The opposite of {polHa'} is {pol} "keep" which has also been used WRT food:

   Soj polmeH pa'
   food storage [locker/compartment] KBoP

{polHa'} seems the more general of the two.  Perhaps the difference is the
physical gesture or movement implied by {woD} "throw away".

WRT to throwing things we have other vocabulary:

{chuH}  "throw (a spear) at, hurl (a spear) at"

   The object of {chuH} is usually the intended target, the person
   or thing at which the spear is thrown. (KGT 149)

{jaD} "throw around, hurl about".

Our only example if {jaD} is the KGT quote above mentioning {Soj jaD}.

{baQ} "toss bat'leth from one hand to the other":

   To twirl or rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from
   one hand to the other (the same word is used whether left to
   right or right to left) is {baQ}.

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons