tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 12 11:48:02 2004

RE: Klingon WOTD: nobHa' (v)

QuljIb ([email protected])

ghItlh voragh:

> This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, April 10, 2004.
>
> Klingon word:   nobHa'
> Part of Speech: verb
> Definition:     give back, return
>
> Additional Notes:
> TKW p. 189, KGT.
> As used in canon:
>
>   Huch nobHa'bogh verenganpu''e' yIvoqQo'
>   Don't trust Ferengi who give back money. TKW
>
> Opposite of {nob}.
>
>Don't confuse {nobHa'} "return, give back" with {tatlh} "return
>(something)" or {chegh} "return (to a place)":
>
>   A different verb, {tatlh}, is used for "return" in the sense of
>   returning a library book or returning a weapon to the weapons
>   rack. If someone were to say something like "I return the plate
>   to the table," the appropriate verb would be {tatlh: raSDaq
>   jengva' vItatlh} "I return the plate to the table." Though not
>   common, it is also possible to use {tatlh} with the reflexive
>   suffix {-'egh} ("do something to oneself") to convey a meaning
>   similar to that of {chegh}:  {pa'Daq jItatlh'egh} "I return to
>   the room" ... The {tatlh'egh} form seems to suggest that the
>   doer of the action is forcing himself/herself to do something,
>   perhaps because it is difficult or not desirable."
>   [st.klingon July 1999]

Do we have any other examples of {talth'egh} used in this fashion?  And are there other verbs that have idiosyncratic meanings when {-'egh} isw appended?

--quljIb

Back to archive top level