tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 02 09:49:18 2004

Re: [Marketing] Klingon localization...

G. Roderick Singleton ([email protected])

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 20:28, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> Alex Fisher wrote:
>
> > Well, at least one other OSS project is supporting Klingon... This snippet
> > from the release notes for Lincvs 1.3.1....
> >
> > ------
> > - commit to specific revision
> > - Elvish and Klingon fonts are supported now; translators welcome
> > - pure DNotify support (Linux only, read Help/DNOTIFY-HOWTO.txt)
> > ----
> >
> > Note the middle line. Time we got an update on the OO.o Klingon effort, I
> > think.....
> >

> And from: http://www.google.com/gmail/help/about.html
>
> "4. Is Gmail available in other languages?
>
> During this testing period, the Gmail interface is only available in
> English. However, we're committed to making Gmail available to as many
> people in as many languages as possible. And Gmail accounts can already
> be used to read and send email in most languages (even Klingon)."
>
> If the OOo Klingon localisation cannot be publicised like other
> localisation teams and n-l projects, it really has little value except
> to a small keen group who are interested in the project.
>
> There are many current and potential localisations of what some would
> consider minority languages. This is a strength of OOo. But it seems a
> shame if we cannot spotlight and share their success.
>
> Do you think it worthwhile speaking to the Lincvs and Gmail people to
> ascertain how they considered the issues of using and publicising Klingon?

Instead making decisions on limited knowledge, why don't you ask
Christian Einfeldt about the status? As to progress it is progressing
and you are invited to join the mailing list. Send an email to
[email protected] with a body of subscribe ooklingon.

--
G. Roderick Singleton <[email protected]>

Back to archive top level