tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 15:40:57 2004

Re: "also" with noun

From: "d'Armond Speers, Ph.D." <[email protected]>

> SuStel wrote:
>
> > TKD p. 54:
> > The noun conjunction je has an additional function: when it
> > follows a verb, it means also, too.
> >
> > This use of /je/ meets the "me too" usage that everybody's thinking of
> > (though it's not identical to it).  (There's nothing in TKD to
> > suggest that /jIH je/ is a legal construction.)
>
> Hmm.  How would you view:
>
> tej ghaH loDnI'wI''e'.  tej jIH je.

/jIH/ is acting as a verb here, so /je/ is in the "also" mode.

Okay, I'll revise my statement.  There's nothing in TKD to suggest that
/verb jIH je/ is a legal sentence.

I frequently see people say /jIH je/, and it's obvious they're translating
"me too."  I think from a strict point of view, /jIH je/ doesn't work like
that.  They should use /verb je jIH/.

jIHoS.
jIHoS je jIH
(not) jIH je
(not) jIHoS jIH je

I'm not saying that Klingons don't use the /(verb) jIH je/ construction, I'm
just saying there's no evidence that they do, or that it's considered
grammatical.

SuStel
Stardate: 4251.8

Back to archive top level