tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 01 09:05:33 2004

KLBC

Shamammd ([email protected])

ngabwI', my questions come at the bottom of this post. :)
 weQqul

weQqul:
> > I think this should have been written:
> >   vIparHa'qu'mo' mu'tlheghlIj'e', vIlo' je.

ngabwI':
>This means "Because I like it, I will use *your sentence*."  Punctuation
>notwithstanding, it makes perfect sense.

{vIlo' je} "I will use it too, I will also use it"

>You wish to use the other person's sentence (as opposed to your own)
>because you like it. Nothing wrong with it.

weQqul:
> > also i think i remember someone else telling me something very similar to
> > what you did about needing to use the noun on both sides of the sentence,

ngabwI':
>I'm not sure what you're speaking about, but the only thing a Klingon
>sentence *needs* to have is a verb. Period. Everything else is gravy.

This is a question of grammar vs. style.  It's perfectly grammatical, but
the style may be a bit awkward.  I think weQqul feels that the object noun
needs to be used in both clauses.  In the re-punctuated sentence:

   vIparHa'qu'mo', mu'tlheghlIj'e' vIlo' je.

{vI-} doesn't actually refer to anything within its own clause, but
anticipates the stated object {mu'tlheghlIj} of the second clause.  (Do we
have any examples of the verb prefixes being used in this anticipatory
manner?)  And weQqul is right:  Some people feel it's better Klingon style
to place subject and object in the first clause of a complex sentence and
not force the listener/reader to wait until the second, or even third,
clause; in the case of the subject, you'd have to wait until the very end
of the sentence.  Personally, as long as the sentence is relatively short -
so that the listener won't loose track  of the thread and become confused -
I see nothing wrong in using anticipatory pronouns and prefixes in this
manner.

Alternatively, one way to get around this is to repeat the relevant subject
or object noun in both clauses:

   mu'tlheghlIj'e' vIparHa'qu'mo', mu'tlheghlIj vIlo' je.
   "Because I like *your sentence*, I will use your sentence too."

(IIRC Okrand has done this a few times, but it's early in the day and I
can't think of any at the moment.)

OTOH, based on the punctuation, I think weQqul may have meant to write:

   mu'tlheghlIj'e' vIparHa'qu'mo', vIlo' je.
   "Because I like *your sentence*, I will use it too."

in which case this is a perfectly normal sentence, with the object prefix
{vI-} referring to the object of the first clause.  In fact, if you write
it this way, you don't really need {-'e'}; the sentence is emphatic enough
with {-qu'}.  Too much emphasis can be counter-productive.-

qon Voragh

mu'tlheghlIj'e' vIparHa'qu'mo', vIlo' je.
   "Because I like *your sentence*, I will use it too."

qon Voragh
in which case this is a perfectly normal sentence, with the object prefix
{vI-} referring to the object of the first clause.  In fact, if you write
it this way, you don't really need {-'e'}; the sentence is emphatic enough
with {-qu'}.  Too much emphasis can be counter-productive.-
Which is exactly how i wrote it in the beginning! look at it here below.

[email protected] writes:
<qar.  veqlarghwI' bIH <ten>'e' <tem>'e' je.>
qon ghunchwI'
veqlarghwI' bIH <qatlh>'e' <chay'>'e' je.  mu'meylIj rurbe' mu'meywIj 'ach
cha' mu'meyvam  vIDuDtaH.   mu'tlheghlIj vIparHa'qu'mo', vIlo'  je.
vIta'pu'mo',
qayIvbe' 'e' vItul. :)

qon Voragh
Alternatively, one way to get around this is to repeat the relevant subject
or object noun in both clauses:

   mu'tlheghlIj'e' vIparHa'qu'mo', mu'tlheghlIj vIlo' je.
   "Because I like *your sentence*, I will use your sentence too."

no. i dont know! i was told this by someone on the list a while back on
another subject and again last night by another person. nov wamwI' told me. look
below!