tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Sep 29 10:36:35 2003

Re: Klingon diplomacy

At 12:49 PM Sunday 9/28/2003, "captain kalaa" wrote:

>Some Klingon warriors "believe" traditionally (in
>accordance with ST canon) that diplomacy is used with
>warfare.  However, there are Klingon ambassadors and
>diplomats in Star Trek.  I believe that there is a
>vast number of Klingon opinions on diplomacy, and the
>one that gets the most attention is the "traditional"
>view.  What about non-traditional views?  Does anyone
>else have an opinion on this?

To get the discussion started, here's some canon (Hey! It's what I do!  <g>):

   SutlhtaHvIS chaH DIHIvpu'
   DIHIvpu' SutlhtaHvIS chaH
   While they were negotiating we attacked them. TKD

   bISuv 'e' yIwIv; bISutlh 'e' yIwIvQo'
   Choose to fight, not negotiate. TKW

   bISutlhnISchugh jaghlI' mInDu' tIbej
   If you must negotiate, watch your enemy's eyes. TKW

   wa' vub ghaH tlhIngan gharwI''e'
   One hostage is a Klingon diplomat. (ST5 notes)

"Though many Klingons themselves are apt to describe the Federation's
Starfleet as a type of {QI'}, this is not really an appropriate use of the
term, since {QI'} refers to the military only, while the functions of
Starfleet are scientific and diplomatic as well." (KGT 51)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level