tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 12 03:26:32 2003

Re: KLBC love

Lieven (Quvar valer) ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol ghojwI']

jaj 28.02.2003 17:57:18, ghItlh "chepqu" <[email protected]>:

>A question,

I don't know if this has ben answered already, so here I go.

>Cannot "I love my wife" be expressed as /bangwI' chaH be'nalwI''e'/? By this

Yes {bangwI' ghaH be'nalwI''e'}
using the pronoun {ghaH} "s/he", not {chaH} "they"

>point I should ask for a full explanation of the meaning of /bang/ since
>Klingon seems so different to English that /bang/ may mean a subset of the
>whole meaning of "love". May /bang/ be used for any kind of love that we
>know about (for the wife, for the parents, for the children, for the
>neighbours, etc)?

Actually, first I was going to say no, but I was thinking of {parmaqqay}, which is a "romantic
companion, partner."
{bang} is not the idea of "love" in general, it means "loved one", and this includes all persons you
love, parents or neighbors.
I conclude this from the fact that words like {vavoy} are called {bang pong} "pet name,
endearment" but literally "loved one's name". So you may love your parents.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
   ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level