tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 18 09:45:18 2003

Re: Word for 'shop'?

Scott Willis ([email protected]) [KLI Member] [Hol po'wI']

----- Original Message -----
From: "SuSvaj" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2003 9:46 AM
Subject: Re: Word for 'shop'?

> At 11:34 PM 11/17/03 +0100, you wrote:
> >jaj 17.11.2003 rep 22:40:35, ghItlh [email protected]:
> >Yes, you're right. perhaps Klingons don't go to the "store=building" but
> >to the {naH Suy}? {Soj Suy}?
>
> In power Klingon we see that this is not so.  A Terran goes into a
> merchant's shop.  Though he is not fortunate enough to leave it.  The same
> tape describes Klingon shops (mentioning that they have no windows) and
> gives advice for how to behave in these shops.
>
> SuSvaj

I don't think he was implying that Klingons don't have stores. I believe
that peHruS is referring only to the semantics of the whole thing, that
Klingons may not go to a "store", but instead go to a "merchant", regardless
of where that merchant might keep shop. In English, we often refer to WHERE
we aquired a particular item ("I bought it at Wal-Mart." or "I got it
online.") peHruS is saying that instead of referring to the place, they
might refer to the person. ({paq Suyvo' vIje'} "I bought it from the book
merchant.")

And while I'm here, I might as well weigh in on this, too.
For no reason I can put my finger on, it "feels" better to refer to the
building itself when that's exactly what you're talking about: the building.
{HIq DaSammeH, tach yI'el!} means "In order for you to find alcohol, enter a
bar!". It says nothing about the fact that to actually BUY alcohol, you must
see the {chom}.
To my mind, one cannot {je'} something from something that, logically,
cannot {ngev}. (Like a {qach}). {Suy qachvo' vIje'} just sounds weird to me,
but "I bought it from the store" is perfectly acceptable. So if you want to
indicate that you are going to the store (a physical building), why not {Suy
qach vIghoS}? If you want to say that you are going to see a merchant,
simply state: {Suy vISuch}. And entering a store in order to see a merchant
would be {Suy vISuchmeH, qachDaj vI'el.}

All of which means absolutely nothing in the end, I know.

--ngabwI'
tIq. taQ. tlhIngan tlhaq. HovpoH!
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/ngabwi/
HovpoH 700806.1