tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 19 00:14:01 2003

Re: SoSwI' vISuchtaHvIS...

From: "QeS lagh" <[email protected]>
> <<qIb lengwI'vaD tlhIngan Hol>>

There's another oft-missed rule.  When you have one noun (or noun phrase)
modifying another (i.e., a noun-noun construction), the first part can't
have a Type 5 suffix on it.  You can't say */qIb lengwI'vaD tlhIngan Hol/,
just as you can't say */lengwI'vaD Hol/.  You should say /qIb lengwI'
tlhIngan Hol/ "galactic traveler's Klingon."

> I believe you. I've never used <<-luH>> myself; there's got to be a reason
> why <<-laH>> and <<-lu'>> are in the same class, even if we don't know the
> precise reason. Okrand *does* say it is used (but bad grammar) in KGT; I
> shouldn't have said "good", but "understandable" (if my Klingon sentence
> above is <<pabna'>> in and of itself).

Out of the fiction of the language, Okrand made those two suffixes of the
same class just to be difficult.  It was a totally arbitrary decision, which
he himself regrets.

SuStel
Stardate 3379.0

Back to archive top level