tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 30 06:49:29 2003

Tao Te Ching Chp. 42

42K

wa' boghmoH mIw'a'.
cha' boghmoH wa'vam.
wej boghmoH cha'vam.
wa'netlh Dol boghmoH wej. [A]

Hurgh wa'netlh Dol 'o'
wovtaHvIS 'etchaj. [B]
yIn HoSmey tay'moHmo', 'eychoH [C].

<tuq HutlhwI'>, <mobwI'>, <tu'HomI'raH> je –
Dotlhmeyvam muS ghotpu'.
'ach Del'eghmeH permeyvam lo' chuQun.

vaj rut malujpu'mo' maQap.
'ej rut maQappu'mo' maluj.

pImbe' paQDI'norghwIj, latlh paQDI'norgh je:
Heghchaj bajpu' ralwI'pu'.
paQDI'norghwIj Hal 'oH vItvam'e'.

42E

Tao gave birth to the One.
One gave birth to the Two.
Two gave birth to the Three.
The Three gave birth to the one thousand things.

The one thousand things have their backs in shadows
    while their faces are bright.
Through the blending of life forces they achieve harmony.
Being "orphaned", "lonely" and "worthless"
    are conditions which people detest
yet the nobles describe themselves with those names.

Thus sometimes by losing we gain.
And sometimes by gaining we lose.

What others teach I also teach:
The violent have earned their death.
This is the source of my teaching.

[A] I'm really not sure if I can use numerals that way. Originally I
rendered these lines like this:

                    wa' Dol boghmoH mIw'a'.
                    cha' Dol boghmoH wa'vam.
                    wej Dol boghmoH cha'vam.
                    wa'netlh Dol boghmoH wejvam.

Maybe I should stick to this version and if I do maybe I don't need to use
the {-vam}.

[B] In the English translation I used BODY metaphors, but I wasn't sure if
they would apply to Klingon {Dol} as well. {'o'} and {'et} seemed safer than
{qab} and {Dub}. The Chinese version has "yin" and "yang", whose original
meaning is simply the shaded and the sunny side (of a hill).

[C] I hope {'ey} can applied to other things apart from food and music. If
not, it'll have to be {pupchoH}.

'ISqu'