tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 06 09:03:14 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: 'ey (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Thursday, March 6, 2003.
>
>Klingon word:   'ey
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     be good, delicious, tasty, harmonious

   Another common way to say that a specific piece or performance of music
   has a particularly strong effect on a listener is to employ the verb {DuQ}
   (literally, "stab"): {muDuQ bom} ("The song stabs me", or, in a more
   colloquial Federation Standard form, "The song moves me"). If the music
   is judged positively--that is, if the listener likes it--the music is
   said to be {'ey}, using the word normally translated as "delicious"
   when talking about food. Rendering {'ey bom} as "The song is good" is
   acceptable, but it fails to capture the real feeling of the Klingon.
   (KGT 71-72)

Note the opposite idea {'eyHa'}  "undelicious, poor-tasting (food)":

   Well-prepared food is described as {'ey} (delicious), the word also used
   to describe good music: {'ey Soj} (The food is delicious); {Soj 'ey}
   (delicious food). Food also resembles music in that if it affects one in
   an especially positive way--that is, if the food particularly satisfies
   the eater--one may say {DuQ Soj} ("The food stabs him/her"). All food is
   considered to be good in its natural state; it takes the intervention of
   a cook to ruin it. Thus, the word {'eyHa'}, used to describe food that is
   edible but is not particularly tasty, means something like "undelicious",
   implying that someone caused it to cease being delicious. (KGT 84)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

Back to archive top level