tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jul 29 10:28:08 2003

Re: KLBC: The years sometimes teach us what the days never know.

ghItlh Voragh:
>>>Dochmey'e' Sovbe'bogh jajmey rut nughojmoH DISmey
[...]
>But to get back to GusZilla's quote... A better question is whether {Doch}
>"thing" can be used in this vague sense.  Every single example of {Doch} in
>canon that I know of refers to a physical object and not something
>intangible, like a lesson or an example or a statement.

Agreed. Don't use "Doch" in a sentence like this. "Thing, object" just does
not gloss well when it refers to an abstract thing. There are much better
choices -- De', qech, ngoD, Sov, to name just a few.

"Doch" abuse is my main pet peeve in tlhIngan Hol, and I just had to get
that off my chest. {{:)

--
Andrew Strader

Back to archive top level