tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 25 17:02:38 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: bIng (n)

>   ["area behind"], {bIng} ["area below"], and others) that follow the
>   nouns whose position they are indicating. Thus, "behind the door" is
>   {lojmIt 'em} (literally, "door area behind") and "below the table" is
>   {raS bIng} (literally, "table area below"). A pronoun may be used
>   instead of a noun: {jIH 'em} ("behind me"--literally, "I area behind"),
>   {chaH bIng} ("below them"--literally, "they area below"). In the Sakrej
>   region, however, possessive suffixes are used in place of the independent
>   pronouns: {'emwIj} ("behind me"--literally, "my area behind"),

This Sakrej-Region translation is a good way to remember what it really means.

As it is described, {jIH 'em} is "behind me", literally "I area behind". But attention, this is really
literally, and is perhaps better described with "my area behind." It's the "area" which is behind me,
but doesn't stand for a locative ...

What I try to say is that "behind me" in the use of "he is standing behind me" needs the locative
suffix:
  {jIH 'emwIjDaq yIH tu'lu'.}

Same with the others.

Quvar.