tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 21 10:27:59 2003

Re: mu'IQmoH

Jeremy asks:

>P.S. While considering the title I came up with an interesting
>construction.  I want to check my understanding with the experts.
><'IQmoHlu'> would mean, "Someone makes it sad," not, "Someone is
>saddened," right?  And to extend this a little further, <vI'IQmoHlu'>
>would mean, "Someone makes me sad (I am saddened)," right?
>saddened," right?

Correct.  {-moHlu'} implies an unspecified or vague outside agent.  Examples:

   HeghqangmoHlu'pu'
   It made him willing to die. TKD

   chenmoHlu'meH Daq wa'DIch'e'
   1st Construction Site (KBoP)

   yIntaHvIS qeylIS'e' lIjlaHbe'bogh vay' batlh 'etlhvam chenmoHlu'pu'
   this sword of honor descends from the time of Kahless the Unforgettable. S8

   Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'
   The eyes of the fallen Klingon are opened...  S31

>                    And to extend this a little further, <vI'IQmoHlu'>
>would mean, "Someone makes me sad (I am saddened)," right?

Right.  Here are more examples of {-moHlu'} with an object prefix:

   Heghpu'bogh tlhIngan mInDu' lupoSmoHlu'
   The eyes of the fallen Klingon are opened...  S31

   For food that has been prepared particularly poorly, it is not uncommon
   to hear {Soj raghmoHlu'pu'} ("The food has been decayed" or "Someone has
   caused the food to decay") or the more pointed {Soj DaraghmoHpu'} ("You
   have caused the food to decay"), even though the food has not literally
   decayed. (KGT 84)

   Accordingly, {bI'Igh} ("You are cursed, you are jinxed") is quite
   insulting. In standard Klingon, the same idea may be expressed by
   saying {Do'Ha'moHlu'} ("be made unlucky or someone/something causes
   [someone/something] to be unlucky"), as in {DaDo'Ha'moHlu'} ("You've
   been made unlucky", or "someone/something causes you to be unlucky").
   (KGT 167)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons