tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 10 15:23:53 2003

Re: Epithets and Curses

Susan Farmer <[email protected]> wrote:

Epithet is an "added to" part of a name -- doesn't have to be insulting.
"the Conqueror," "the Lion-Heart," "Bastard of Saxony" were all epithets.

<><>My dictionary says nothing about this at all.  I've always known the term "epithet" applied to insults only.  I'm not sure if "added to" is accurate, but we can take your word for it.  Where did you get that definition from anyway?

Susan (who is going back to lurking now)

Klingon Warrior
taHjaj wo'!
Darren M. Slade