tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 27 10:41:55 2003

Re: jIQuch

Quvar BG wrote:

>k>vIQuch pIv
>k>I am happy she is finally well
>
>Yes, in english. But you are happy *because* she is well.
>{Quch}cannot take an object, "you" are happy: {jIQuch}
>   "I am happy because she is healthy"
>   {pIvmo' jIQuch}
>
>k>is there a word for finally and where does it go.  i am wanting to put it at
>k>the beginning.
>
>Yes, you are right. The word for "finally, at last" is {tagha'}, it's an
>adverb, so it comes at the beginning of the sentence:

Actually, adverbials come at the beginning of their *clause*.

>   "I am happy because she is finally healthy"
>   {tagha' pIvmo' jIQuch}

There are two clauses in this sentence.  Note the subtle difference:

   tagha' pIvmo', jIQuch.
   Because she is finally healthy, I am happy.

E.g. My cat has been sick a long time but now it's finally healthy, which
makes me happy.  (IOW my cat has recovered from a long illness.)

   pIvmo', tagha' jIQuch.
   Because she is healthy, I am finally happy.

E.g. I have been sad a long time, but because my cat is healthy I am
finally happy.  (IOW I am counting my blessings to cheer me up.)

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level