tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 24 16:47:19 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: quv (n)

Voragh:
> > ... though there are certainly contradictory examples out there.  E.g.:
> >
> >    batlh potlh law' yIn potlh puS
> >    Honor is more important than life. TKW
> >
> >    batlh qelDI' tlhIngan, lumbe'
> >    A Klingon does not postpone a matter of honor. TKW
> >
> > {quv} would have worked in these as well if I'm right that {quv} implies
> > personal honor, especially in the last example.

DloraH:
>(Not agreeing nor disagreeing with your concept, but just going along with
>the
>conversation...)
>
>I can easily see these two refering to the general concepts of honor.  Yes,
>they can certainly work refering to one's own honor, but I think these can
>also
>be general statements.

To test my idea that {batlh} is more inclusive, and probably subsumes,
{quv} I'd like to ask Maltz whether the following makes any sense:

   ? batlh potlh law' quv potlh puS.
     <batlh> is more important than <quv>.

or would he consider it to be utter nonsense.

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level