tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 20 10:12:45 2003

Re: tlhegh

Quvar wrote:
>I wrote:
> >>Does {tlhegh} also mean an empty "line" in a letter??!

By "empty line" do you mean a blank line, separating two blocs of text?

>ghItlh SuStel:
> >jIHvaD qay'be' lo'vam.  'a maSovchu'be'.

{tlhegh chIm} "empty line" - jIHvaD qay'be' je lo'vam'e'.

>I came up with this thought because in German for instance, the word for
>"line" in a letter is completely
>different than the word for "line" as a rope.  And that's the definition
>MO gave us.

In addition to the literal, physical meaning of "line, rope", {tlhegh} also
appears as an element in the abstract (metaphorical?) words {mu'tlhegh} and
{vIttlhegh}:

   The usual term for "proverb" is {vIttlhegh}, literally "truth rope" and
formed,
   no doubt, by analogy with {mu'tlhegh} "sentence" or, literally, "word rope".
   (Okrand, HolQeD 5.1)

So using {tlhegh} to refer to a line of text or string of letters seems
fine.  (However, {SIrgh} "string, thread, filament" has not been used in
this way AFAIK.)

--
Voragh                            "Damage control is easy. Reading Klingon
- that's

Back to archive top level