tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Jan 19 15:46:53 2003

RE: "to be" and plurals

jIjatlh:

>But should you even use numbers with inherent plurals?  As I recall, the
>inherent plurals refer to things considered as a single unit/group (can't
>remember where I read this); therefore using a number with them would seem
>to be a contradiction.

jatlh Dlorah:

>Your sentences don't specify any numerical value other than "multiple".
>What if the captain orders you to fire three torpedoes?
>[wej cha] or if we shouldn't put numbers on inherently plurals, [wej peng]?

jatlh SuStel:

>I don't think it's been stated anywhere by Okrand that words with plural
>meanings are considered a single group.  Certainly we treat them that way
>grammatically, but I don't know of anything that would prevent me from
>talking about /wej cha/ "three torpedoes."
>
>wej cha yIbaH
>Fire three torpedoes!
>
>wej peng tIbaH
>Fire three (scattered) torpedoes!
>
>On the other hand, it's possible that you're correct, and that inherently
>plural nouns can't be modified by numbers.  This is, I think, an area we
>just won't know about without information from Maltz.

Perhaps whatever I read was in HolQeD or on this list.  In any case, even if
nothing from Maltz prevents it, I am uncomfortable using numbers with
inherent plurals.  I would definitely say

wej peng

or

wej pengmey

as opposed to