tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jan 17 13:19:50 2003

Re: KLBC holy

From: "...Paul" <[email protected]>
> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 [email protected] wrote:
> > > Is there a klingon word that would translate as holy or sacred?
>
> What if you added { -neS } to the adjective?  Would that make the verb
> more proper, or does that really make the person being spoken to more
> honored?

That's an interesting idea, in that /-neS/ doesn't add anything
grammatically to the verb it's attached to, so one might think it's allowed
to go on adjectivally used verbs, but so far all we've ever seen on such
verbs are the rovers (except /-Qo'/).

However, I don't think it really fits the meaning, as /-neS/ is used to be
polite to someone of a higher rank than you.  It isn't used to describe
something you're talking about, but is directed at the addressee.

I can, for instance, use /-neS/ to refer to someone never mentioned in the
sentence at all:

Heghpu'neS HeSwI'.
The criminal is dead, your honor.

This has nothing to do with honoring the criminal.  You're showing deference
to the person you're speaking to.

We don't have enough vocabulary regarding religious concepts to successfully
translate "holy" or "sacred."  I also don't think that you can use /-neS/ on
adjectivally acting verbs.

SuStel
Stardate 3046.7

Back to archive top level