tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 28 11:21:32 2003

Re: MOST terminology

>I just want to be sure to understand correctly:
>jIH = screen (the device)
>HaSta = what you see on the screen
> > window            jIHHom                small screen
>why not HaStaHom? (small visual display)

As I see it, /jIH/ "monitor" is the device, /HaSta/ "visual display" is what
you see through a camera (like viewing what's directly in front of your
space ship, for instance), and /wIy/ "tactical display" is an abstracted
view of some area, like a map.

People often come up with stretched meanings of /HaSta/, because they want a
word that means something like "movie" or "graphics," but we don't really
have such words.

As for "window," we now have /Qorwagh/ "window," and I don't see why you
can't duplicate the metaphor.  But I am NOT going to get involved in the
discussion of how to translate common menu commands into Klingon!  There's
way too much kinda-sorta iffy compromise in there for me to be coming up
with something "official."

SuStel
Stardate 3991.0

Enjoy a special introductory offer for dial-up Internet access — limited
time only! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup

Back to archive top level