tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 18 07:16:55 2003

RE: Quote

Paul Stolar ([email protected])

Yes, engineer is one who fixes problems.
We make measurement tools. So "tool" or "instrument" are appropriate.
For 'ship' it means to send to the customer. We do not convey it ourselves,
be we do send it.

Does that help?

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Willis [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 6:17 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: Quote

----- Original Message -----
From: "Paul Stolar" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 11:35 PM
Subject: Quote

> Paul:
> I have a silly question,
>
> My work group has a motto I want to translate into Klingon.
>
> Who can translate "Kill the engineer, ship the tool!"

I've got an even sillier question: could you give us a little more info?
We have a noun {jonwI'} "engineer", but I strongly suspect it refers to one
on board a ship responsible for the care and feeding of the engine.
Is this what you mean, or is "engineer" referring to "one who solves
technical problems"?

Also, for "ship", we have a verb, {HIj}, meaning "to deliver, transport
goods", but unless you work for FedEx, I strongly suspect this is not what
you're going for.

What, exactly, does the engineer do, and what, precisely, do you mean by
"ship"? Additionally, what kind of tool are we talking about? (A program, a
wrench, etc.)

--ngabwI'
Beginners' Grammarian,
Klingon Language Institute