tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 16 19:38:23 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: taH (v)

Se'noj le'umaS ([email protected])

>From: Steven Boozer <[email protected]>
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: Klingon WOTD: taH (v)
>Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:51:17 -0600
>

>>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Saturday, December 13, 2003.
>>
>>Klingon word:   taH
>>Part of Speech: verb
>>Definition:     be at a negative angle
>
>Never used in canon, this is one of the more puzzling words in the
>glossary.  When someone on st.klingon wondered whether anyone has ever just
>asked Okrand about it, Sustel answered, "Yes. No answer yet." (st.k 6/97).
>
>Okrand did mention {taH} in his article on piloting vocabulary in HolQeD
>11.2:
>
>   The attitude of a plane is its orientation relative to something,
>   such as the {ghangwI'} "horizon" ... The attitude of an aircraft
>   is often talked about in terms of angles. The word for "angle" is
>   {tajvaj}. Klingon {taH} means "be at a negative angle".
>
>I'm told that someone (not Okrand) at qep'a' loSDIch suggested it means "be
>tilted."
>
>Related (?) position verbs include {yoy} "be upside down", {Don} "be
>parallel, go parallel to" and {lol} "be in an attitude".
>

>--
>Voragh
>Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

My feelings on {taH} are that it's what a pilot, of atmospheric or space
craft, would do if (s)he was going to land. You fly at a negative angle,
relative to the horizon, to go down, qar'a'? Although, if this IS the case,
is there a verb for be at a positive angle?

Se'noj