tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Aug 28 12:18:30 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: HIq (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Wednesday, August 20, 2003.
>
>Klingon word:   HIq
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     ale, beer, wine, liquor

As used in canon:

tlhutlhmeH HIq ngeb qaq law' bIQ qaq puS
Drinking fake ale is better than drinking water. TKW

HIq DaSammeH tach yI'el
To find ale, go into a bar. TKW

cha'vatlh ben HIq vItlhutlh
I will drink Two Century Old Ale. PK

pubtaHbogh ghargh HIq
boiling worm wine PK

reghuluS 'Iw HIq
Regulan bloodwine PK

romuluS HIq vImuS
I detest Romulan ale. KGT

latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr yIqang!
Pour the cold bloodwine into another glass!
(idiom: "I don't believe you; maybe someone else will" or "That is
irrelevant to me; maybe someone else will care") KGT

latlh HIvje'Daq 'Iw HIq bIr vIqang!
I pour the cold bloodwine into another glass! KGT

As discussed by Okrand:

"Klingon drinks may be divided into two types: those with and those without
an intoxicating effect--basically, those with and those without alcohol.
There is no known noun referring to drinks in general (though, as noted
above, beverages are considered a type of Soj [food]). Any alcoholic
beverage is called HIq. Federation Standard makes a distinction between the
various forms of liquor; Klingon does not. Thus, the word HIq is translated
in various ways in names of different drinks, particularly, though not
exclusively, those of non-Klingon origin: romuluS HIq (Romulan ale) 'Iw HIq
(blood wine), Sorya' HIq (Saurian brandy). On the other hand, many native
Klingon alcoholic drinks have names that do not contain the word HIq. Among
these are wornagh (warnog), a kind of ale; baqghol (bahgol), consumed
heated and out of rather small glasses; and the very strong chechtlhutlh
(chech'tluth). (The fact that chechtlhutlh seems to be made up of two verbs
related to drinking--chech [be drunk] and tlhutlh [drink]--is no doubt
coincidental.) Imported alcoholic beverages are made of various
ingredients, some of them not available in the Klingon Empire. Domestic HIq
is distilled from a number of different kinds of grain (tIr), with some
additional constituents (of both plant and animal origin, including 'Iw,
blood) adding flavor and strength. 'Iw HIq (bloodwine) is served warm to
hot (best is porgh Hat--'body temperature', though it is not clear whose
body) and should be very dark red in color. Drinking HIq is usually
accompanied by toasting. [...] Animal blood ('Iw) is found primarily in
alcoholic beverages, but the milk (nIm) of some creatures (such as the
targh [targ]) is combined with other ingredients to form drinks of rather
complex flavor, though it is seldom consumed by itself." (KGT 95)

"In fact, vut can also be used in reference to making a beverage, whether
simply mixing ingredients together (such a putting cream in coffee) or
starting from scratch (such as brewing ale)." (KGT 83)

"If some kind of HIq (liquor) is added to the coffee, the drink is called
ra'taj. It is said that the drink was originally nicknamed ra'wI' taj
('commander's knife', suggestive of its potency), and that the name was
shortened over time." (KGT 95-96)

Cf. also {taS} "liquid".

--
Voragh