tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 22 16:31:09 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: naDHa'ghach (n)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Friday, August 22, 2003.
>
>Klingon word:   naDHa'ghach
>Part of Speech: noun
>Definition:     discommendation

Never used in canon, but explained in TKD (4.2.9).

>Additional Notes:
>TKD Addendum, p. 176.  Opposite of {naD}.

{naDHa'ghach} is, of course, derived from the verb {naDHa'} "discommend,
disapprove":

   {naDHa'} "discommend" is listed [in TKD] due to its importance in
   Klingon culture, though {naDbe'} "not commend" is a properly formed
   word. (st.klingon 3/02/98)

Cf. also the noun {pIch} "fault, blame".

>The total disowning of a member of Klingon society.  It is analogous to
>excommunication during the Earth's Middle Ages, however the next seven
>generations of the victim's family are disgraced as well ("Sins of the
>Father" [TNG], "House of Quark" [DSN]).

   "I have accepted discommendation."  [Worf, in TNG "Reunion"]

This *might* be the idiom in Klingon (if Worf was translating literally):

   ?naDHa'ghach vIlajpu'.
    I have accepted discommendation.

FWIW {laj} "accept" is used in other ceremonial or ritual phrases in Klingon:

   to'baj 'uS lughoDlu'bogh tIlaj
   Accept these stuffed tobbaj legs! PK

Said when offering a guest the traditional meal served during {QI'lop}, the
holiday honoring the Klingon military.

   jIlajneS
   I'm honored to accept! (TNG "A Matter of Honor")

   jIlajneS. ghIj qet jaghmeyjaj
   I accept. May your enemies run with fear." (TNG "Sins of the Father")

This is the traditional acceptance upon being asked to serve as someone's
{cha'DIch} ("second", as in a duel).

   beq may' ta vIlajpu'
   I have accepted the crew's record of battle. KGT

   ghopDu'wIjDaq yInmeyraj vIlaj
   I accept your lives into my hands. KGT

Both of these come from the ritual on a Klingon vessel when a new set of
officers takes over and a mission is about to begin.  (Was this seen in DS9
"Soldiers of the Empire"?)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons