tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 12 12:24:33 2003

Re: KLBC Translation

[Apparently BG Quvar missed this, so I'll give you a hint...]

At 03:11 PM Wednesday 8/6/03, chepqu' ne' wrote:

>One of my goals was "I allow myself to have perfect health".
>The translation I come on is
>jIpIvchu' 'e' vIchaw''egh

Re-read TKD (p.35) on {-'egh}:

   This suffix is used to indicate that the action described by the verb
   affects the performer of the action, the subject. It is translated by
   English "self".  When this suffix is used, the prefix set indicating
   'no object' must also be used:
      jIqIp'egh   "I hit myself"
      bIqIp'egh   "you hit yourself"
      qIp'egh     "he/she hits himself/herself"

I.e. A verb with {-'egh} cannot take an object -- such as {'e'}.  In other
words, the second verb in a "sentence-as-object" pattern cannot have the
suffix {-'egh}.

You'll have to re-word this slightly.  Offhand, I can think of two simple
fixes.  Can you?

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons