tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 04 17:51:18 2003

RE: lexicography paper on TKD

An interesting if unrealistic proposal. But then realistic is not really the
point. I will comment that in 3.2 you mention that TKD lacks pronunciation
information, but with the strictly phonetic writing system used,
pronunciation is equivalent to spelling, which is obviously there, a few
typos notwithstanding.

pagh

-----Original Message-----
From: C. Krottje [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, July 31, 2003 8:28 AM
To: [email protected]

Greetings,

Hereby I ask list members to read a paper I have written for a lexicography
course at my University. The topic: a lexicographical approach to a
potential yet (still) hypothetical revision of the TKD (kliext.ps).

The paper can be found on www.ceesjebeesje.tk.

I'd be very pleased if I can get some feedback on my point of view from some
people on this list.

Before people attack me :-) on certain things, I will give some
pre-auto-feedback first to some things I say in the paper, which I would
like you to read before you read the paper itself.

I'm always reasoning from a learners' perspective and a lexicographical
perspective at the same time. Please be gentle... :-)

When I say "dictionary", I can mean two things. Most of the time, I will
mean the dictionary-section of the present TKD and not the whole book with
the name TKD. When I say what the dictionary should look like, I'm referring
to the term dictionary in general, so not "wordlist in the TKD" but "revised
TKD according to lexicographical standards", in this context. The context
will usually make it quite clear.

Sometimes I ask, claim, or question things at a certain point and answer
them or devalidate them myself later on.
I do fully realise that the written form of the language as used by the KLI
and as used in the TKD is merely phonetic, even though my section on
compound nouns might give the impression that I don't realise that.

Some feedback by Will Martin, who also used to be on this list, can be found
on the same site.

Qapla' with reading it.

--qeyS--

C. Krottje