tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 04 14:22:02 2003

Re: be'Hom loDHom je

naHQun:
>>>But it would also make sense that since we have a <be'> and a <be'Hom>
>>>to have a <be''a'>

Not necessarily.  Not all combinations of verb or noun stem plus suffix
exist or make sense, even though they are theoretically possible in terms
of the rules of Klingon grammar.

Tad Stauffer:
>>The existance of {be'Hom} doesn't necessarily imply that {be''a'} is
>>equally as common a word; we have the word {'uj} (a distance of about 35
>>centimeters) and {'uj'a'} (a distance of 9 {'uj}), but not {'ujHom}.

Indeed, when charghwI' asked Okrand if an *{'ujHom} could be one ninth of
an {'uj}, Okrand explicitly said that no such measurement existed.

>>Before you read below what I think {be''a'} might be, consider what *you*
>>think of when you hear {be''a'}. I'm sure the grammarians that were on
>>the panel from the qep'a' will have more to add :-)

SuStel: