tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 04 13:48:08 2003

Re: Klingon WOTD: qIm (v)

>This is the Klingon Word Of The Day for Monday, August 4, 2003.
>
>Klingon word:   qIm
>Part of Speech: verb
>Definition:     pay attention, concentrate

As used in canon:

HeDaj yIqIm
Track her course! ST5

jemS tIy qIrq. loDHom jIHDI' qIrq qun vIqImchoH.
James T. Kirk. I've followed his history since I was a boy. (ST5 notes)

yIqIm, yIbuS
Pay attention and concentrate! CK

qIm tera'ngan
Attention Earther! (KCD bumper sticker)

jIqIm
I pay attention. KGT

Cf. also {buS} "concentrate on, focus on, think only about, pay attention
to"; {SIv} "wonder" and {vuQ} "fascinate".

>Additional Notes:
>Opposite of {qImHa'}.

   The verb {Dach} literally means "be absent", but when applied to
   a person who is obviously present or otherwise accounted for, it
   is usually interpreted to mean that the person's mind has wandered.
   It does not mean "absent-minded", which involves forgetfulness.
   Rather, it means that the person is, for whatever reason, not
   focusing on the task at hand. Nonslang equivalents are {qImHa'}
   ("not pay attention") and {buSHa'} ("not focus [on], ignore").
   (KGT 149)

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons