tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Sep 13 07:38:46 2002

Re: Aw: Re: lugh

>>the former is more objective, the latter more subjective.
>
>I'm no expert on German (I took a course in college, but that's all), but I
>don't think this is correct.
>
>'ist richtig' means that the subject itself is right (in quality or
>character).
>'hat recht' means that the subject's position on an issue is correct.
>
>Either one could be subjective or objective.

As I reread this, it sounds presumptuous, someone who has taken a single
course in German lecturing a native speaker, but as those concepts were
explained in my course, and according to modern American English usage of
subjective and objective, the dichotomy you set up doesn't hold.  Even in
the examples Quvar gave, both the 'ist richtig' and the 'hat recht' versions
are objectively true.

Maybe we're both saying the same thing in a different way.

Anyway, this is no longer about Klingon, so if anyone has anything else to
say to me about it, please respond off-list.

qamaw 'e' vIHechbe'.  "German" Hol laH'e', SoH po' law', jIH po' puS net
Sovba'. chaq qayajchu'be'.