tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 29 01:03:23 2002

Re: KLBC: -ngan Suffix

Am 28.10.2002 22:33:14, schrieb "Lee Herndon" <[email protected]>:

>This is my first message to the list.
    Welcome to the list, maQ. I haven't seen you yet, but you should know me, if you have been
lurking. I am Quvar, the current Beginners' Grammarian. It's my job to help beginners here with
Klingon. You can add the letters "KLBC" to your subject line whenever you want me to check your work,
or if you have a question about how to say something in Klingon. If possible, you should also include
what you were trying to say, in English. This will make it easier for me to make sure that you say
what you are trying to say. Just for the record: what is your native language?

If you haven't done so already, I suggest you read the list's FAQ on http://www.bigfoot.com/
~dspeers/klingon/faq.htm

And, of course, visit http://www.kli.org, the KLI'S website.

>The Klingon dictionary I ordered
>hasn't yet arrived, so I thought
So I guess you have no other language resources either?
On the FAQ, you find a list of klingon language ressources. The most important is TKD though. That's
the plce to start.

>Is the -ngan suffix
It's a noun...

>intended only for planetary residence, or is it a more
>general term?  That is, would it be proper to refer to someone as,
...it means "inhabitant", so I'm sure it can also refer to a city. From KGT (Klingon for the Galactic
Traveler) we know that also Gre'thor can have inhabitants, so it's not only restricted to planets:

   page 130:
    {quvHa'; ghe'tor ngan rur}
    "dishonored as an inhabitant of Gre'thor"

>instance, amerIqangan? (Aside from the ugly transliteration question.)
You're right, transliterations are not so good (read the FAQ). We usually write english words in
*asterisks*, so everyone sees it's no klingon.
And {*America* ngan} "inhabitant of America" is correct
Sometimes people write it in one word, but there's no rule for that.

>know this is getting a bit ahead of things, but until my dictionary arrives
>I won't be able to start asking about more basic grammar.
I'm sure you will find something to ask :-)

Remember: if you want the BG's attention, write KLBC in the subject line.

Quvar
Beginners' Grammarian
  ghojwI'pu'wI' vISaH

Back to archive top level