tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Oct 22 14:38:05 2002

RE: Tao Te Ching; Chp. 9

>Where did the chinese draw the line between the area just above our heads
>where the birds fly - and the "sky".  I understand that back then most
>likely they had no concept of "space"; to them it was all just "sky".  But
>I still think one needs to differenciate between the sky where birds fly
>and the "SKY" that watches over all things.  In >some context I have used
>chal'a'.  From an ancient perspective I think >this works.

<<chal'a'>> vIparHa'qu'. chaq vIlo'.

Funnily enough, according to some beliefs, the Chinese heaven begins right
on surface of the earth: it touches the earth. (My Tai Chi instructor keeps
saying that our feet walk on the earth but our bodies are already in the
sky/heaven).

According to other beliefs, the "tian" and "di" are no longer in direct
contact: when they produced children, the offspring pushed the "tian" up to
create space for themselves. So we are really living between heaven and
earth. Apparently the birds too live out their lives between heaven and
earth: the Chinese character representing the word "no, not" (bu) is
supposed to represent a bird that tries to reach the sky but is NOT able to
do it.

QInvam vIqontaHvIS tlhIngan Hol vIlo'be'mo' jItlhIj 'ach jImoDnIs

'ISqu'

BTW
China Hol, lurDech, lalDan je po'wI' jIHbe'. jImughchugh mulughmoH vay' 'e'
vIpIH.

Unlimited Internet access for only $21.95/month.  Try MSN!