tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Oct 16 14:31:18 2002

RE: Tao Te Ching; Chp. 47 (naQ)

K: qo' naQ DaSovchoHmeH lojmIt DaveghnISbe'.

E: You don't need to step through your door
     to know the whole world.

QIj DloraH:

>/qo' naQ/ is much the same as /naQbogh qo'/.
>You know a world which is whole... as opposed to one that has been cut in
>half.
>
>qo' Hoch - all of the world; the world's all; every piece that is the
>world.
>
>There are two pies.  One is whole (naQ).  Another is missing a slice
>(naQbe').  Mr Bob comes in and eats all of a pie; a pie tin is now empty.
>Did he eat all of the whole pie (naQbogh chab Hoch), or did he eat all of
>the partial pie (naQbe'bogh chab Hoch).

va. qaStaHvIS poH nI' mu' {naQ} vIqeltaH 'ach wej vIyajchu' 'e' vItlhoj.
batlh bIghojmoH, DloraH. qatlho'. jInmolwIjDaq potlhqu' mu'vam.

Hmm, it would seem that in this context {qo' Hoch} is what I need.
Tao Te Ching makes a lot of references to "the whole world" and to things
being "complete" or "whole".
I'll have to take another look at those fragments.

tugh latlh vay' vImuch.

'ISqu'