tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 19 21:34:51 2002

RE: QeD De'wI' ngermey

> > > QInvam vIlaDbe'pa' mu'qaD veS vItagh!  :)
> >
> > /laDbe'pa'/ ?
>
> "I didn't read this message before I started the curse warfare."
> (or what I was really going for was "I read this message after I started
> it"...)  Qu'vatlh, I got confused.  I don't need the { -be' } in there,
> because { -pa' } is indicating I performed the core statement before the
> clause...  Shoot, I'm still getting confused.
>
> { -pa' } means "before", but that's really only how it translates.  The
> action described in the clause with { -pa' } actually occurs *after* the
> main statement, it's just translated as the prepositional phrase "before
> X"...  Right?
>
> I was actually thinking of the { -be'pa' } construction as a way of
> indicating "after", although now that I'm thinking more about it, I
> realize I could've just reversed the main clause with the relative clause,
> dropped the negation and conveyed basically the same idea...  Which would
> still have been wrong because I was thinking about the effects of { -pa' }
> in the reverse order...  Bleah.  :)

jIQong - I sleep
jIQongpa' - Before I sleep

Ho'wIj vISay'moH - I cause my teeth to be clean (I brush my teeth)

jIQongpa' Ho'wIj vISay'moH - Before I go to bed, I brush my teeth.

PK implies that tagh is intransitive.

QInvam vIlaDpa' tagh mu'qaD veS.
Before I read the message, curse warfare began.
Curse warfare began before I read the message.

For your idea of "after"...
taghpu'DI' mu'qaD veS, QInvam vIlaD.
When the curse warfare had completed starting, I read the message.
"had completed starting" = "after it has started"

As for your attempt with -be'...
jIlaDbe'pa' - before I do not read
jIlaDpa'be' - not before I read.   Hmm, this sounds kind of weird.

DloraH

Back to archive top level